Tuesday, 23 May 2017

Task 3 - Project progress

Task 1 - Ideas Generation
For this task I decided to make a mind map for the protagonist, the antagonist, the environment/terrain and the NPCs because it will help me to research ideas and reference for the designs of each topic. For the protagonist and antagonist I included things like their appearance, their characteristics, the colors I am planning on using for their final design, the things they can do like magic and their physical abilities as well, and lastly the comrades for the protagonist and minions for the antagonist. I included these things in the mind map because it adds detail and a personality to these character which will make designing much easier  


Task 2 - Reference Research
For this task I will be doing research for each of the main points that I have included in each of the four mind maps. I will also be including the things that have inspired to come up with each of the characters points. I came with each of the points for the characters based on the knowledge I already had in my of some characters that I have seen through the screen be it from games or anime.

Aurelia
For Aurelia I collected images of different female characters that are clad in armored which I think look beautiful and angelic or if they fit the 'holy' theme.

Appearance
From these reference images you can see that they are all either completely clad in armor or just enough to make them look strong and fierce. I think that I have a good collection images ranging from modest to feminine but fierce looking characters. I think that these fit the theme of the character very well and will be very helpful when I'm coming up with ideas for Aurelia's overall look.
  
IO

Links:
http://blasteratomic.deviantart.com/art/Saber-Fate-stay-night-full-1044734-628907115
http://gameinfo.euw.leagueoflegends.com/en/game-info/champions/leona/
http://gameinfo.euw.leagueoflegends.com/en/game-info/champions/vayne/
http://gameinfo.euw.leagueoflegends.com/en/game-info/champions/soraka/
http://gameinfo.euw.leagueoflegends.com/en/game-info/champions/kayle/
http://gameinfo.euw.leagueoflegends.com/en/game-info/champions/poppy/
http://gameinfo.euw.leagueoflegends.com/en/game-info/champions/syndra/
http://gameinfo.euw.leagueoflegends.com/en/game-info/champions/sivir/
https://www.smitegame.com/adventures/nikes-valley-of-victory/?lang=en_US
http://forums.smitegame.com/showthread.php?32221-Looking-for-this-athena-artwork
http://www.otakutale.com/2016/granblue-fantasy-tv-anime-delayed-spring-2017/

Color schemes
Here you see that I collected images with the colors that I listed on my min map because whenever I looked at these colors they reminded me of royalty because Aurealia is the first princess of her city. These images will help me decide what colors will fit Aurelia's character as a part of her appearance. I think that colors are important because it allows for you tell which side the characters belong to.


 

Links:
http://gameinfo.euw.leagueoflegends.com/en/game-info/champions/elise/
http://gameinfo.euw.leagueoflegends.com/en/game-info/champions/janna
http://gameinfo.euw.leagueoflegends.com/en/game-info/champions/sivir/
http://gameinfo.euw.leagueoflegends.com/en/game-info/champions/fiora/
https://uk.pinterest.com/pin/90353536250006984/
https://uk.pinterest.com/pin/205687907960844648/

https://uk.pinterest.com/pin/382454193330698805/
http://www.designerfabricsaus.com.au/prints/color/red
https://www.thehunt.com/finds/QW3pmz-dark-red---google-search
http://gameinfo.euw.leagueoflegends.com/en/game-info/champions/leona/
http://gameinfo.euw.leagueoflegends.com/en/game-info/champions/katarina/
http://gameinfo.euw.leagueoflegends.com/en/game-info/champions/riven/
http://gameinfo.euw.leagueoflegends.com/en/game-info/champions/shyvana/
http://gameinfo.euw.leagueoflegends.com/en/game-info/champions/akali/


Abilities 
I gave Aurelia the ability to be able to summon weapons with it's matching outfit because I found this ability really powerful and I thought that it was an ability that a protagonist deserved. This idea came from one of my favorite anime characters called Erza from the anime series Fairytail. Erza is able to re-equip weapons and armor at will with each weapon giving her different magical attributes.


In terms of Aurelia having superior skills, I could also link it back to Erza as she is one of the strongest mages in her guild however, there are many other characters that have superior swordsmanship like for example the character named saber in the anime series Fate Stay night. The character saber is a heroic spirit that was summoned for the purpose of fighting in the holy grail war, the origin of saber is based on the story of king Arthur which her real name is derived from which is Arthuria Pendragon. I chose these characters because they fit the the image and characteristics of a strong female character which is exactly what I want for my protagonist to be.




Baradeer


Appearance + Color Schemes 
As you can see from these images they are all very muscular and mostly menacing. I think I have a good collection here because apart from the appearance they all have the perfect color schemes that I want my Baradeer to be, which is dark and very dangerous looking. This collection also includes characters that look very hellish which is exactly how I want Baradeer to look like.




Links:
http://gameinfo.euw.leagueoflegends.com/en/game-info/champions/alistar/
http://gameinfo.euw.leagueoflegends.com/en/game-info/champions/aatrox/
http://gameinfo.euw.leagueoflegends.com/en/game-info/champions/braum/
http://gameinfo.euw.leagueoflegends.com/en/game-info/champions/darius/
http://gameinfo.euw.leagueoflegends.com/en/game-info/champions/drmundo/
http://gameinfo.euw.leagueoflegends.com/en/game-info/champions/malphite/
http://gameinfo.euw.leagueoflegends.com/en/game-info/champions/sion/
http://gameinfo.euw.leagueoflegends.com/en/game-info/champions/yorick/
http://www.smitefire.com/smite/guide/a-chaac-ing-solo-build-4-9-guide-and-explanation-14776
http://smite.noobabble.com/2015/08/26/the-indomitable-patch-notes/
http://gameinfo.euw.leagueoflegends.com/en/game-info/champions/monkeyking/ https://uk.pinterest.com/pin/42713896443714172/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smell_the_Glove#/media/File:Solid_black.svg

Abilities 
When I thought Baradeer's abilities of destructive magic and being able to summon minions I immediately thought the character called Azmodan from the game Heroes of the Storm. I think that this character actually fits my characters characteristics very well. Azmodan is able to conjure giant spheres of fire along with being able to summon his hell minions.




Environment 
Below are some reference images that I got from the league of legends regions page (link below) I got all of the images I used for this because their environment designs fit my ideas perfectly in fact I was actually inspired by the regions in league of legends.

Seraph's Citadel (The Holy City)
The images below are that of a place called Demacia, in some sense Demacia is sort of like a holy city because of their strong sense of honor and justice. These images fit the description of my environment idea perfectly because it was inspired by it.



Hellion's Rift (The City of Turmoil)
For this environment I was thinking of doing either a well built and structured kingdom that looks dangerous or a more ghoulish kind of look. The first two images are that of a place known as Noxus and Noxus is the exact opposite of Demacia which they consider each other as rival kingdoms. The second set of images is a place known as the Shadow Isles and you can why it has been called that from the images below.




Calandura (City of Sand)
My Idea for this environment was also very much inspired by one of league of legends regions known as Shurima.

"The empire of Shurima was once a thriving civilization that spanned a vast desert. After an era of growth and prosperity, the fall of its gleaming capital left the empire in ruins. Over millennia, tales of Shurima’s glorious city became myth and religion among the descendants of the scattered survivors."



Kenara's Well (The Hell Docks)
The mages is of a place known as Bilgewater. Bilgewater is a very dangerous place filled with many dangerous people from smugglers to marauders. It is the perfect place for those who are running from justice to start a new beginning because no one cares about your past within the hell docks.




Links:
http://universe.leagueoflegends.com/en_GB/regions/
NPC

Oriel
For Oriel who is the rescuee and the sister of Aurelia I wanted to go for an innocent but free spirited and bubly look in terms of her appearance and I found the prefect reference.

 http://gameinfo.euw.leagueoflegends.com/en/game-info/champions/lux/

Hellions
For the hellions who are Baradeer's minions I looked for different looking references because I want for there to be different classes of hellions with different abilities.


Task 3 - Antagonist Sketches
I decided to go for a different appearance for my antagonist last minute because thought that this style would fit the story more. The image below is the build that I went for instead because I thought that the model looked cooler and somehow more imitating. I also thought that the model looked kind of good looking for a demon lord which made me think that its not always that you get to see a demon lord to be good looking for what he is rather than being ugly and menacing.
For both the sketch and the final design I decided to borrow another artists model as a base because I really liked the way it looked and how it was posed. Unfortunately I couldn't find the site that I got it from because I used this image a while ago. Just a disclaimer that the base model that I used for my sketch and final design aren't mine except for whats added on top.
The image beside the model is what it looks like on a tracing paper over an A4 paper.
I first traced over the other artists model and then drew on the other side with a darker pencil after this I turned the tracing over to the right side, I then put it over a blank piece of A4 paper and then I drew over the lines again to transfer it onto the A4 paper. I also repeated this for my antagonist sketches and final design.


Task 4 - Protagonist Sketches
For the sketch of the protagonist I decided to borrow a model from one of league of legends characters concept art to use as base. I borrowed the pose of the second model from the left and the one at the end. I chose to use these models because I liked how they had long slender legs which makes them look graceful but the pose also makes them look fierce. I just repeated the steps that I did from when I drew my protagonist sketch.



Task 5 - NPC Sketches
For the hellion sketches I decided to make them look more animal like than human because I thought that the style suited the title of 'minion' more. I also tried making them look sinister but also simple at the same time. I drew alternative designs because I want for there to be different types of hellions each with different abilities.


For Oriel's look I wanted for her to look girly, bubbly and free spirited so I wanted to give her frilly clothing for the bubbly attribute and then the flowwy skirt for the girly part. The second sketch I made the top a sweetheart cut to make her look more girly and for the bottom part I gave her a high-low design with the boots to make her look more adventurous and free spirited.


Task 6 - Object Sketches
For Aurelia's I sketched her weapons to be really simple with the thought that these are what her standard weapons would look like and by this I mean that these will be the weapons that she can summon at the beginning however as she completes missions and get closer to the her destination the weapons will start evolving into even more powerful ones.

  For the protagonists weapons I just thought doing alternative designs because the as the protagonist/boss Baradeer will only appear once at the end as the final fight and whenever there is a cutscene so it won't be changing like Aurelia's.

Task 7 - Environment Sketches
This is my sketch for the Kingdom of Rokka, I was thinking that the kingdom will be sort of semi enclosed in this giant structure and that the streets will be filled with flags that have the Rokkan symbol on them.

This is my sketch for the Seraphs Citadel, I was thinking it would be located in a place that rich in nature and surrounded by water with white mountains and white architecture. I was imagining the streets to be very safe looking and filled with angelic statues as it is also known as the holy city.

This is my sketch for the city of Calandura, Calandura is set in a desert but is filled with culture and is very lively. I was thinking that the streets will be filled with the tents of individual vendors and merchants.

This is my sketch for Kenara's well, there will be very large rock structures that have architecture connected to each other built on the side of them, it will look very squatter settlement filled with docking platforms for ships.


Task 8 - Final Protagonist Design 
For my final protagonist design I borrowed a different character model from league of legends to use as my base. The site that I got this image from is just below the image.
http://www.lol-wallpapers.com/artwork/ice-drake-shyvana-concept/?portfolioCats=509%2C133


This is the final design of her armor but will not be the final color scheme. I chose this color scheme for the moment as a way to tell which is the protagonist and which is the antagonist. The colors I used for these were gold and silver metallic pigment ink pens, I think that these colors are perfect for the protagonist role and for the theme of her origin which is the holy city of the seraphs citadel.
The one next to it is what she uses to summon different weapons I have decided to name it The Divinity.




Task 9 - Final Antagonist Design
For my Antagonists final design I decided to go with the same base as the one I used for my sketches because I just really liked how it looked. Like the antagonists final design this is not the final color scheme as it's only there to tell which is which. The symbol beside it is he one on Baradeer's forehead which he uses to extract mother natures essence and where he draw's his powers from.



Task 10 - Final designs
  
Rokka (The City of Turmoil)

Seraph's Citadel (The Holy City)

Kenara's Well (The Hell Docks)

Calandura (City of Sand)

Oriel (The Captured Princess)

Alternative Hellions
 

No comments:

Post a Comment